“Is it safe to travel alone?” This is perhaps the first question that will pop up in your mind when you think about going on a solo trip let alone in the Big Apple City. Mind you, there are hundreds, if not thousands, courageous travelers who have gone traveling alone to their hearts’ content. Ask Freya Stark of Baghdad Sketches and she’d tell you it is the best thing to do. CNN’s Nikki Bayley also recommends it. So does New York Times blogger Andrew O’Hagan. So why think twice and probably miss the chance of experiencing the beauteous city to your fears? Grab a ticket and pack up for a day or two in the city that never sleeps.
What to look up when you travel alone in New York
The City of New York has a lot to offer. In the heart of the city, you will enjoy the dizzying views of skyscrapers. The Empire State Building, the Times Square, the Rockefeller Center, the GE Building, the Madison Square Garden, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral are just some of the most important places to check out. There are also a lot of museums to look up for: the New York State Museum, the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, American Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Modern Art are some of the best in the world. Of course, your tour to the Big Apple City will never be complete without paying a visit to the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn Bridge.
Travel Tips for foreigner
One of the things that will keep you from enjoying yourself in a foreign place, not only in New York City, is your fear of being bored and unsafe. That is not going to happen if you open yourself to the possibilities of going on solo tours and dinners. There are a lot to experience in the city, just make sure that you are ready to all the uncertainties.
Here are some of the things to do or bring with you when traveling alone:
- Always make sure that you have long sleeved shirt or jacket with you when traveling. This will keep you from getting cold when travelling via air conditioned trains or cabs for long periods of time.
- Always pack light. Some toiletries are available in the hotel so there is no need to bring them.
- Dine in than take away. Enjoy the local scene, food and people. Blend in rather than be alone.
- Bring enough cash. Chances are you will spend bigger than traveling with a pal or two. This is so as you have no one to share your bills with.
- Soak in the sun and stay for nightlife. You are a tourist so make sure you tour around as much as you can. Also, don’t forget to enjoy nighttime in the big city. It has so much to offer.
How to travel around
There is plenty of ways for you to travel around the city of New York. You can hire a cab, go on a walking tour, alight a train, etc. For best results, you can hire a travel agency for city tours.