Running is becoming more popular in Singapore. Take a look at the growth in the number of runners for the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS); it began with just 6,000 runners in 2002, reaching a peak of 65,000 runners in 2011. This significant increase over less than a decade definitely shows that the running culture in Singapore is slowly growing.
Running, coupled with healthy dieting, is proven to be one of the most efficient ways to burn calories and lose weight. An average person that weighs about 70kg can burn up to 100 calories when running (1.6km). However, the inertia faced when one wants to exercise is so strong that we choose to laze around after a long day at work. Especially during festive seasons, our diet tends to get very unbalanced and we give ourselves more excuses than usual to exercise. So, here are some tips on how to keep ourselves motivated to run!
1) Listen to music while running.
- In a 2012 review of the research by Costas Karageorghis of Brunel University in London, one of the world’s leading experts on the psychology of exercise music, described music as “a type of legal performance-enhancing drug.”
- Music increases exercise endurance by 15 per cent
- In other words, music has a therapeutic effect on people’s mood.
- Music distracts yourself from fatigue and enhances your performance.
- You may be surprised that you can run further and better the next time round with music!
2) Plan new running routes.
- Though Singapore is a little red dot, it hosts a variety of great running routes.
- With fresh running routes and sceneries, you will be more inclined to explore new areas and more motivated to run! Here is a website that you might want to refer to for the top few places to run in Singapore: http://travel.cnn.com/singapore/life/top-10-running-routes-singapore-932620
3) Pick a running buddy.
- Especially those times when your legs get heavy and the idea of giving up sets in, a running buddy helps to cheer you on and push you through limits.
- Having a chatty buddy livens up the atmosphere and is ideal for slower-paced long distance runs.
Bearing in mind the aforementioned tips, it is vital that one remains hydrated and prepared before each run: a proper warm-up and cool-down. Remember that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Start running today!